Crispy, Pan-seared Porgy
You may need to make this in 1 or 2 batches depending on the size of your skillet. Serve with a nice summer side, such as corn on the cob or a tomato salad.
- 8 to 12 scup fillets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh herbs, finely chopped and added to breadcrumbs, if desired
- Salt and pepper
- Butter and olive oil for pan-sautéing
- Lemon wedges, for squeezing
1. Prepare 3 wide shallow bowls with flour, egg, and panko breadcrumbs. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper. Season fish with salt and pepper. Dip each piece into the flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs lightly onto both sides.
2. Heat your largest, thickest skillet on medium or medium high and when hot, add about 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil. Fill the pan with the fish, and cook on one side until golden, 3 to 4 minutes depending on the fillet size, flip over and cook on the other side another 2 to 3 minutes. Check one piece. Serve immediately, with a wedge of lemon.