- 2 pounds tuna albacore loin skinless
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning salt-free
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Heat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle.
- Cut the albacore filet crosswise into 1½ inch-thick steaks.
- Season both sides of the steaks liberally with salt and pepper and place them in a single layer in an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle the tuna with your favorite salt-free seafood seasoning blend and the chopped garlic.
- Pour olive oil into the dish until it reaches halfway up the tuna steaks. Cover the dish and pop it in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and flip each steak before replacing the lid and baking for another ten minutes. The albacore should be barely cooked through when it’s finished. Don’t overcook it!
- Before serving, cool the tuna to room temperature with the lid off. Drizzle the steaks with the olive oil braising liquid and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Use a snug baking dish to cook the tuna so you use less olive oil.
- You can store leftovers in the braising liquid in the fridge for up to a week.
Photo: Michelle Tam