Tuna Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
By Sonja Overhiser with acouplecooks
For the cilantro lime slaw
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix (7 cups)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the tuna tacos
- 8 ounces tuna steaks
- ½ tablespoon neutral oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon each chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 1 recipe Chipotle Crema (or Chipotle Sauce or Yum Yum Sauce), to serve
- 8 tortillas
- Allow the tuna steak to come to room temperature by letting it stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw: Shred the red cabbage and chop the cilantro. Place it in a large bowl with the coleslaw mix. Mix in the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice, maple syrup, chili powder, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Make the sauce: Make the Chipotle Crema, Chipotle Sauce or Yum Yum Sauce.
- Cook the tuna: When ready to cook, pat the tuna dry. In a small bowl, stir together the salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sprinkle the seasoning mix liberally on all sides of the tuna. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the tuna steak and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned on the outside but still rare the inside. The tuna will continue cooking while sitting. For a medium-rare tuna steak, the internal temperature should be 130 degrees Fahrenheit when measured with a food thermometer at the thickest point. Cool for 2 minutes. Then slice the tuna against the grain into ½-inch slices. Taste and add additional salt if necessary.
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm.
- Assemble the tacos: Add generous spoonfuls of cilantro lime slaw, then slices of tuna. Top with Chipotle Sauce and more fresh cilantro. Enjoy immediately.